Thursday, April 14, 2011

We Don't Get Out Much

Many people ask, how do you, a family of seven, NOT have a car!? Good question. And at some point, we will. But for now, you know, we hoof it, ride it, or beg it. (feet, bike or borrow) Lot's of people rent vehicles around here. Sometimes to haul something or they have a crowd going. Last weekend, we decided to join those renting type of folk, and we rented an SUV for the weekend. And whoah Nellie - it was fun! I mean for the grown ups anyway. I think the kids were thinking, 'Uh. You guys are a little too excited. Settle down and let us out of this thing!'

We had one major reason for renting the car; a special meeting on the big camp due to a visit from our dear Elder Holland. There were maybe, 200 or so people at the meeting, and it was wonderful. After the meeting, he rubbed my boys heads and said, "Hey. I used to wear my hair like that. Maybe I should cut it again, like yours, and wear it to general conference. What do you think?" They got a kick out of that. He also said to Chach, who was very done for the day and had taken off his shoes mid meeting and met Elder Holland sans shoes, "Wow. You look great. Like a missionary. Except. Wait. You don't have any shoes on. Our missionaries have to wear shoes." We laughed and I said something in regards to living in the Middle East, what're ya gonna do? At any rate it was great to be in such a small meeting and have such a wonderful person there. The spirit was rejuvinating, just what I needed. He opened the evening up to questions. Anything we wanted. Most of us were too shy, but some asked some neat things about missionary work going forward in the world and what not. Overall, a great and memorable experience. The day before all of this, we decided to take the family to the 'camel market'. The one that the littles and myself weren't able to go to several weeks back. I had an 'ah-ha' moment on this drive. Here we are, all driving along singing our hearts out to our Young Mormons Sing CD, "I'm a Mormon, yes I am..." When it hit me. I have been listening to that album my entire life. Really I can't remember not having those songs. "When I grow up, I want to be a mother..." "Gotta dime in my pocket, I can feel when I walk it..." I never once, not even sort of, ever imagined I would be driving across the Arabian Penninsula, car full of my children, dust storm a blowin', and singing along to Young Mormons Sing. It was kinda neat. And a little wierd.

Can you read Arabic? Bet you can. What does that say in the mirror? haha. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear - I think.



We ventured out into the desert, two hours northwest of here. We were having a small shamal (sand storm), but overall it was really fun. These are some shots of the 'view' during the drive. B000-riiiing. I found it interesting because I was just glad to be off camp. This is more of this country than I have ever seen. Apparently I'm not missing much.



Lot's of tents out in the dunes. Lots and lots and lots of sand. Tons of camels. (I liked this part) And their shepherds, or camel-herds. The first picture here is a bunch of goats, but there were camels all over. Lots even on the outside of the fences, if there happened to be fences, on the sides of the roads.



Coming into the little town that has the market, we saw this sweet peice of art. Yep. That's the baldder (or some internal organ) of a camel? Goat? Not sure. But bedoiun's still use bladders, (not this big, of course) in fact we saw some for sale at the market. I know. Gross. But this picture is awesome. It's on a stand, ready to pour water into the tea cup - for tea. Mmm. Tasty. Tea from a camel bladder. Delish!



Thought you'd enjoy this guy. Talk about balance. Look how strong the wind is. This guy is amazing! I have no idea how he's staying on that bike.



This truck makes me laugh, then cringe in fear. This is totally the kind of thing you see on freeways (and elsewhere) around here. Safety first. That's what I always say...



Here is a picture of our major purchase of the day. Peter has been dying, don't ask me why, for a camel saddle. We bought one, and the kids can't stay off of it. It was 40.00, so I was fine getting one. Heck, if these guys don't quit wrestling, corraling, catching, pulling, jumping/sitting on their new pet (fake) camel - we'll have to go back for another!



Over all? Fun day. I bought myself the middle eastern version of a moo-moo, which I now feel makes me an official mother. They're really quite comfy. I bought a new scart for a whoppin' 2.50, which you'll see below. Of course, due to prayer times, we only have about an hour or so - but we had a really fun time. Aren't you dying to come and visit me? Look at all the fun we could have. Dirt. Dust. Sand. And camel bladders. Whose up for it?



Oh, the fun isn't over yet. Three -day -weekend! So on pretend Monday, (that's Saturday to you - Thursday, market. Friday, Elder Holland. Saturday, The City. Get it?) we thought we'd brave Crow-bar. (haha, love that) The city. I must tell you. Peter did an excellent job for his first time driving here. This is NOT an easy task. People drive SOOO fast, weave in and out, speed by you like you're standing still while they pass you on the left hand shoulder (or the right, wherever they feel like it) - with inches to spare. Then, you get things like the truck I told you about, right in the middle of the freeway, going like 20 miles and hour. The whole thing is enough to give a person a nervous break down and actually makes me glad I can't drive here. Some days, anyway.



On our big day out, Peter took me to pick something up from my favorite little tailors - Modern Tailor. I wish I could paint a picture for you. Let me think. Hmmm. Roads the size of a back alley, drivers that have never even heard of something called 'drivers ed.', people who cross where ever the heck they want, serious double parking - sometimes triple parking, on both sides of these teeny tiny roads, now make the amount of traffic something like a Jazz game getting out. Got it? Now. Take a giant SUV, full of five kids with Thomas the Tank Engine blasting and a wife saying, 'a little further. a little more. next block. here! let me out here!" This is why Peter wins the best Dad and Driver award of 2011.



We went to the souks, as I already said. Well, drove through them anyway. Then we made it into Johnny Rockets before prayer. Hooray! Did you know they have Johnny Rockets here? Funny, huh? Women have to be covered head to toe, but they have the very symbol of freedom? Cheese burger, fries and a milk shake? You can see. We partook of our freedom. Oh yes we did! Like I said. We don't get out much.



These next pictures are just for fun. We went to the mall for a few minutes. 80% of things are closed from after noon prayers to four in the afternoon. (that's a whole other complaint! whyyyy?!) Anyway. We just wanted to wander around. I saw this floral stand, with some really pretty things. And some really tacky things. This falls in between for me. I'll call it interesting. That seems fair. Anyway. It's a "Welcome Baby Girl" arrangement.



Upon closer examination I noticed though, that all of the little glass things hanging from it - where tea pots. Arabian tea pots. Mmmm? Okay. I know they really like their tea here. But what about sweet little birds or something? Or a baby carriage? Just goes to show that I truly don't understand people or their ways, in this neck of the woods.


One last fun note. We went to a great store, called Desert Designs. (google it if you want to see some fun stuff) While there a lady I didn't know (but do now, Hi Gwen!!) came up to me and said, "Would you think it's totally wierd or freak you out, if I told you that I read your blog, and I love it?" (improvising words here) Turns out Gwen lives in the the big ward in the City. We talked for a few minutes and had a good laugh over block stalking. My response to her question, "It doesn't freak me out. It's so nice of you to say so. Plus. You're Mormon AND American. You're safe." Funny.


4 comments:

Amy said...

I love the church. I love that they don't forget about any of the members, anywhere! What a neat experience to get to meet elder Holland. I love him!

Tiffany said...

What a fun weekend! I'm digging the new scarf. What did you get at the modern tailor? I got sooo many compliments on my super springy blue skirt the other day!

Susan said...

I love the tea pots ;)

I've decided that I get to have a fun birthday party this year and so we are going with an Alice/Mad Hatter theme...I've been finding teapots at thrift stores and anywhere I can find them really.. we are totally filling them up with different colors of koolaid and eating petit fours :D

Anonymous said...

Okay, okay, okay. I need to comment on this one.

What do you mean, saying, "Peter has been dying, don't ask me why, for a camel saddle."?

I believe in YOUR own blog on Thursday, March 17, 2011 (http://roobeesshoes.blogspot.com/2011/03/camels-camels-everywhere-and-not-one-to.html) that you yourself said, and I quote,

"Camel Saddle. I have a need to buy one of these before we move home for good someday."

...Always making me out to be the bad guy...